Good morning readers and coffee indulgers we hope you’re ready for another great blog today as we’ve got a very major MF recipe lined up for you, the Jamaican Irish Moss Drink. This delightful drink made with milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. It is super tasty, vegan, and is even gluten-free! It has been believed that this wonderful concoction originated from Irish immigrants who went to Jamaica between the 19th and 20th century. The drink has a naturally thick (and to some gluey) texture that provides a very filling and nutritious feeling when consumed. This is due to an important ingredient named ‘carrageenan’ which naturally thickens substances and is often used in yoghurts and cottage cheese.
To make MF Jamaican Irish Moss you will need:
- ¾ lb of MF Sea Moss
- 3 oz of gum arabic
- ¾ cup of natural honey or 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ pound of sugar
- 5 oz of isinglass
- 5 oz of linseed
- 3 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 5 litres of water
- 2 tablespoons of powdered MF Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of powdered MF Cinnamon
1. Wash the MF Sea Moss to remove sand and other matter.
2. Place the MF Sea Moss in water overnight.
3. Place 5 litres of water in a pot and bring to a boil
4. Add moss, gum arabic, isinglass, and linseed.
5. Cook for ¾ hour until all the ingredients, with the exception of the MF Sea Moss, has dissolved.
6. Pour the liquid into a strainer into another container. Throw away the boiled Irish Moss.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients to the liquid and mix well. Boil for an additional 10 minutes.
8. Let the mixture cool and then place in the refrigerator for 5 hours before severing.