- 1 lb. raw jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 a cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 of a large habanero pepper, seeded and minced (more or less, for your heat preference)
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped.
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger.
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of MF Jerk Seasoning
- Chopped cilantro fresh lime wedges.
- Beer for soaking wood plank if you are grilling shrimp.
1) Place shrimp in a wide shallow bowl. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl with high sides, combine all ingredients from the vegetable oil through to the MF Jerk Seasoning. Use an immersion blender to completely process until there are no sizeable pieces. Or use a food processor or blender.
3) Pour marinade over shrimp and gently stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
4) Set a large grill plank in a pan with sides and completely cover the plank with beer. If the plank wants to float, simply set a bowl or something similar on it to weigh it down. Let soak for 2 hours.
5) Heat charcoal (using hardwood lump or regular charcoal) or gas grill to medium-high heat (about 475°). If using a charcoal grill, let charcoal get completely hot and white, and then level it out into an even layer. Set soaked plank on the grate to get plank hot.
6) When the plank starts to crackle, which should take about 3 minutes, set shrimp on the plank. Grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until shrimp are no longer opaque. Set plank on a pan and serve shrimp straight from the plank.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a bit of flaky sea salt. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over the top and there you have it, MF Jerk Shrimp!